This monument to the first newspaper in Missouri stood on the north bank of the Missouri River just across from Boonville near Old Franklin. The photos show H. Denny Davis (now deceased), publisher of the Fayette Advertiser, at the rededication of the old monument during the Missouri Press Association’s 125th Annual Convention in 1991. Originally erected in 1919, it was washed away in the Great Flood of 1993. A replacement monument was built near this spot, next to the cross-state KATY Trail, in 1997.
Don Winningham, Fayette, designer of the monument, died in 1997.