JOBS & MARKETPLACE
Members of Missouri Press Association may place ads FREE in the Marketplace section if the ad is for a position with a Missouri newspaper. Non-members please call or email Matthew Barba for pricing, (573) 449-4167 or email@example.com. Ads appear in the MPA monthly Bulletin, weekly eBulletin and here. Email ads to firstname.lastname@example.org or scroll down to fill out an online form.
WANTED TO BUY
WEEKLY NEWSPAPER FOR SALE: The 132-year-old, award-winning Pleasant Hill Times is for sale. This weekly newspaper is profitable with revenues of more than $250,000. This great opportunity is made possible due to the pending retirement of the owner. Call 660.672.9354. 6-21
NEWSPAPER FOR SALE: Small town weekly for sale in northwest Missouri, good subscription list (about 1,500); extremely popular with town businesses and citizens, needs equipment update. Print elsewhere. The Lawson Review, Asking $40,000. Call 816-296-3412. 6-10
REPORTER: Springfield Business Journal, an award-winning weekly niche publication in southwest Missouri, is seeking a reporter. Expertise in AP style is required; three to five years of reporting, ideally in business, is preferred. Work for the leading authority of business news and information in the Springfield region. The SBJ is family owned and is growing. We are increasing print readership as well as digital platforms. Over 70 percent of our readers are owners, CEOs, partners, general managers or other executive level positions; 86 percent of readers are in a decision making role and they overwhelmingly cite the Springfield Business Journal as their preferred source for business news.
Send resume and clips to Editorial Director Eric Olson at email@example.com. 7-12
SPORTS AND COMMUNITY REPORTER: The Jackson County Advocate, an award-winning publication covering Grandview and South Kansas City, is looking for a talented, dynamic, team-oriented individual to join our staff. This person will be the primary point-of-contact for local sports coverage, and will produce stories and photos for the weekly publication. In addition to sports, this person will also cover community events and local government (schools, city, etc.). Ideal for a multi-tasker who can meet regular deadlines and thrives in a fast-paced environment. We are looking for someone who understands that working in a small business means we all chip in and help when necessary. Ideal candidate will have knowledge of publishing software, including inDesign and Photoshop, the ability to work a flexible, full time schedule, and have a passion for community journalism. If interested, please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Jackson County Advocate is an equal opportunity employer. 7-11
ADVERTISING SALES: The Lincoln County Journal is looking for an enthusiastic, motivated Sales Consultant who can exceed revenue goals by designing creative client campaigns that drive desired business results. We are looking for someone who can connect with clients and help them achieve their business objectives through effective print and digital advertising.
In this position, you will:
• Generate revenue for two newspapers and meet monthly goals through effective outside sales techniques
• Develop new business and create results for clients through creative and effective targeted campaigns
• Establish trusting relationships with clients and community and meet all commitments with adequate preparation, delivery and follow-through
• Grow your book of business in alignment with goals while identifying companies that are expanding, relocating, hiring
• Meet or exceed revenue targets for existing, new, and digital business, as well as corporate initiatives and develop a strategy to support achievement of goals
• Grow share of clients’ advertising spend while increasing their overall spend
• Support collection of receivables
• Build and enhance sales skills, to include effective story-telling, prospecting and relationship-building, negotiation, closing
• Develop capabilities to produce creative and effective campaigns
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
• Passion for contributing to a sales team with a positive mindset
• Driven by practical results, opportunities to learn, and opportunities to assist others with intention
• Effective relationship building, customer service, communication and negotiation skills
• Superior business acumen related to new media, digital interactive initiatives and social media required
• Ability to quickly recover from adversity
• Ability to effectively communicate, build rapport and relate well to all kinds of people
• Professional appearance a must
• Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record
Our Sales Consultants earn a generous commission on all sales. If you are interested helping the businesses in your community thrive, we want to hear from you! Send resume to email@example.com 7-10
COMMUNITY-MINDED PUBLISHER: Lakeway Publishers of Missouri has an immediate opening for a Publisher to lead three small community weeklies. Based in Bowling Green, Mo., the successful candidate is someone who understands community newspapers and understands that we’re not “selling ads,” we’re helping our neighbors SUCCEED.
We need a revenue-focused people person to lead a young team as we launch new digital products and help our communities prosper. Preference will be given to candidates with proven abilities to help newspapers grow.
If you are a goal oriented, organized self-starter with proven skills, we want to hear from you. Advertising sales experience preferred.
Please email a cover letter, your resume and professional references to VP Jeffrey Peyton at firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration. 6-28
EXPERIENCED EDITOR: The Norman Transcript seeks an experienced editor versed in print and digital journalism for our top newsroom position in one of Oklahoma’s newsiest communities.
The editor is responsible for news and opinion content for our seven-day, 8,000-circulation newspaper, digital platforms, bi-monthly magazine and other niche publications.
Applicants need a collaborative newsroom management style, a passion for local news, strong editing and writing skills, and the ability to drive significant enterprise journalism. We also require proven ability to communicate clearly up, down and across; organize time and plan efficiently; set high standards, and motivate the staff to produce journalism readers want, need and value.
The editor directs a staff of 12 journalists and is a key member of the paper’s senior management team, with a strong voice in strategic initiatives to engage audience and drive results.
Norman is 20 miles south of Oklahoma City and the home of the University of Oklahoma. It features an excellent public school system, the National Weather Center, a vibrant economy and many recreational and cultural activities.
Applicants should apply online to publisher Mark Millsap at email@example.com. Include a detailed resume, and a cover letter on why you are qualified for the top editor’s position. A few PDF pages representative of your current work can also be submitted.
The Norman Transcript is a member of the CNHI newspaper group, a leading U.S. publisher of local news and information. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer competitive salary and benefits. 6-24
OUTSIDE SALES OPPORTUNITY: The Marshall Democrat-News has an outside sales position available. A strong candidate must have motivation; reliable transportation and insurance; good communication skills; organization skills; and able to work within deadlines. The full-time position offers 40 hours/week, insurance benefits, commission, and the opportunity to work in a family oriented and owned business. Submit a resume/application to General Manager Sarah Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to The Marshall Democrat-News, P.O. Box 100, Marshall, MO 65340. 6-17
REPORTER: The Daily American Republic is seeking a full-time general assignment reporter to join its staff.
The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills, under deadline pressure, and be able to cover a variety of topics, including education, government and community news.
Photography and pagination skills a plus. Must be available some evenings and occasional weekends.
Send a resume and cover letter to Brian Rosener at email@example.com or by mail to PO Box 7, Poplar Bluff, MO 63902. 5-28
REPORTER: Are you someone who looks at the big picture but understands that details matter, too? Do you have the ability to crank out a quick story on deadline but also write in-depth pieces that may require weeks or months of research? Are you comfortable cultivating your own sources and asking the hard questions of local power brokers?
Do you like the idea of working for a company where the decision-makers also live and work in the community? We’re not afraid to try to new things, and there’s no corporate chain of command here. We welcome your energy and ideas, and we’re looking for someone who’s as passionate about local journalism as we are.
We’ve won plenty of awards over the past 40 years, but more importantly, we’ve gained the trust of our readers and made a name for ourselves in this market. In a metro area of 200,000 people, we print 28,000 copies a week of our core publication and are also working on growing our online presence with additional digital content.
As the state capital, experience in government and political reporting is a plus. Experience preferred, but we will consider a recent graduate if you can demonstrate that you have what it takes.
Send a cover letter, resume and 5-6 writing samples reflective of your work to via email or snail mail to:
Michelle Ownbey, Publisher
1240 S. Sixth St.
Springfield, IL 62703
DIGITAL SPECIALIST: Missouri Press Service is currently seeking an individual to fill the role of Digital Specialist. This is a full-time role eligible for benefits. Missouri Press is seeking to fill this position ASAP.
Duties will include:
– Coordinate and maintain the MO Press ad servers, including handling in-state and out-of-state press associations, members, and advertisers.
– Place, monitor, and report on digital ad buys, including individual advertisers and all state networks.
– Set up, distribute, and monitor newspaper ad codes for all state networks.
– Coordinate and carry out social media posts for MO Press on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
– Oversee/facilitate the tearsheet process.
– Obtain affidavits for inserts.
– Package tearsheets and affidavits with invoices and send to client.
– Record sent invoices.
– Gather confirmations and signed insertion orders.
– Gather by phone and email any unsigned insertion orders.
– File signed insertion orders, along with email trail for each.
– Assist in designing ads, as needed.
– Learn and be proficient in AdVantage billing systems.
– Prepare quotes for potential ad campaigns.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
Please send resumes to Ted Lawrence at firstname.lastname@example.org 5-16
MULTI-MEDIA REPORTER: Begin a career you are proud of as a Multi Media Reporter
What do we offer YOU?
• An opportunity to diversity your portfolio with print and digital storytelling opportunities
• Tools to perform your job to the highest potential, including training and up-to-date technology
• Flexible scheduling and competitive pay
• Great company benefits, including medical, dental, life, PTO and a 401K package
What is it like to work for us?
• As a community-minded company, we aim to connect with — not just report on — the communities we serve.
• We focus on what it takes to make YOU successful in your job, preparing you to inform and engage with an active audience.
• As part of a family-owned business, you will develop strong team-building and family-like relationships with co-workers.
Qualified candidates should:
• Have strong two-way communication skills, oral and written
• Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism or a related field
• Be familiar with pagination software, photography techniques and social media trends
• Be able to manage time and effectively multi-task
Apply today! Email email@example.com with resume, cover letter and writing samples. 5-16
STATEWIDE EDITOR: The Missouri State Editor will lead the GateHouse Media newsrooms in the state, as well as the Columbia Daily Tribune newsroom, located in the vibrant town of Columbia, home of University of Missouri, one of the leading journalism programs in the country. This editor will develop systems of collaboration with journalist in markets that range from rural to suburban. We are looking for someone with vision, passion for strong journalism and experience as an editor, ideally in a regional capacity, plus the ability to inspire and grow the journalists throughout the state.
The Missouri State Editor leads newsrooms throughout the state of Missouri, driving audience growth at the Columbia Daily Tribune and throughout the state. The state editor serves as a coach and project manager. They are focused on driving results, growing audience and seeking best practices. This agile thinker will be focused on high-interest, high-engagement journalism with an entrepreneurial spirit. They will change newsroom culture from passive to progressive.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Serves as the editor for the news operations, overseeing staff at the local level in Columbia.
• Supports and drives GateHouse Media’s news initiatives.
• Develops and maintains strategies and specific content initiatives to promote audience growth, working with other newsroom leaders throughout the state of Missouri and throughout GateHouse Media to assess successes and identify challenges through audience metrics.
• Initiates and directs special projects for their newsrooms.
• Communicates with other department heads to further editorial mission.
• Demonstrates news judgment and initiative to produce community-based stories beyond meeting and event coverage.
• Leads community engagement efforts.
• Implements strategies that will provide operational efficiencies, promote cooperation and expand shared resources among newsrooms.
• Provides editorial guidance and content; works with other leaders to develop cost and revenue strategies that advance profitability.
• Develops and expands digital footprint for news operations, including monitoring practices and submissions required for GateHouse’s internal quarterly evaluation, Inner Circle.
• Improves selection of syndicated and other shared content, ensuring optimal use of GateHouse-provided content.
• Serves as principal contact for any legal and ethical considerations that may arise regarding news operations.
• Looks for partnership opportunities to enhance news coverage.
• Coordinates staff training efforts and provides coaching for staff members; promotes staff development and monitors possible opportunities for advancement within GateHouse.
• Works with news operation managers and human-resources staff to resolve any disciplinary problems, and ensures compliance with all HR policies and procedures.
• Consistently meets deadline and budget requirements.
• Posts daily (either social media or website) with the expectation to meet minimum goals set.
• Identifies digital goals, working with the regional editor, to achieve audience growth on team and/or individual levels.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Must have good communication skills to deal effectively with internal and external customers
• Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling and AP style
• Ability to react quickly to new developments and exercise judgement.
• Ability to juggle multiple stories and deadlines
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• BA degree in journalism or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 5 years experience in supervision/management role
• Other combinations of education and experience may be considered
Please send resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org 5-16